Today we are making chicken from wheat gluten.. vital wheat gluten. Most people know this recipe as Seitan. Seitan is made by using the protein of wheat to form a dough. It cooks, looks and when flavored right, taste just like chicken!
Last week I made my first video in the plant based chicken series Chicken from grapefruit! Hope you enjoy part 2!
https://www.Patreon.com/saucestache – JOIN the SauceSquad
https://www.Saucestache.com – to print recipes and merchandise!!!
Music by Joakim Karud http://youtube.com/joakimkarud
Seitan Fried Chicken
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 10 seitan cutlets||Total:|
Chicken flavored veggie nuggets
- 2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 6 cups water
- 2 1/2 not chicken bouillon cubes or veggie broth
- bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- crushed black pepper
- Egg replacement powder
- Mix together wheat, yeast and seasoning
- add 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp veggie chicken broth or veggie broth
- mix together well
- then kneed for 5-8 minutes until smooth and not very sticky
- Boil 4 cups broth and 2 cups water
- Cut wheat gluten dough into half sized cutlet pieces
- drop wheat gluten slices into boiling broth and boil for 30 minutes flipping half way though
- Coat seitan with flour then egg replacer, then bread crumb
- fill large skillet with 1 inch of vegetable oil
- fry until golden brown!