Did you know that most Ginger Ales don’t actually get made using Real Ginger… well at least ginger is not on their ingredients list. They all have Ginger Extract!!! We are going to make a simple ginger ale using real ginger and its going to be GOOD!
http://amazon.com/shop/saucestache Affiliate Store. I make money when you buy things there!
Ginger Ale with Real Ginger
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 3 cups of syrup will make 12 glasses of soda||Total:|
This is a Ginger Extract Syrup that can be used to make many drinks including Ginger Ale
- Limes or lemons
- Soda Water
- Using the side of a spoon remove the skin of the ginger
- Chop Ginger into small slices
- Add ginger to sauce pan
- For every 1 cup of ginger add 2 cups of water
- add the zest of a lime
- bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- remove from heat, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes
- pour mixture through strainer into large bowl
- Press on ginger though strainer to get as much liquid as possible
- return liquid to saucepan
- add 1 cup of sugar to each cup of ginger. (if you like less sweet you can use less sugar)
- Bring to a boil and simmer until you have lost 1/3 of the liquid
- remove from heat and allow mixture to cool
- Place syrup in glass container (will last around 2 weeks)
- To make Ginger ale
- add 1/4 cup of ginger syrup to 1 cup of soda water and a squeeze of fresh lime juice
You can play with the flavor by adjusting the amount of sugar or the types of sweetener used. Brown sugar will make a richer flavor.