Today we are making the Chinese Bao Buns/ Gua Bao! I’ve wanted to make this bao buns recipe for a little while now and I finally got to make them! I made these Chinese buns by hand this time, but you can make them in a stand mixer with a dough hook and save yourself a lot of time and a sore arm! Let me show you how to make the bao dough and then you can fill these steamed buns with whatever you like or steam them on make a bao sandwich!
Hope you enjoy my simple, easy, handmade Bao Buns Recipe!
Music by Joakim Karud http://youtube.com/joakimkarud
https://www.amazon.com/shop/saucestache (affiliate link – I get paid if you buy from here)
Bao Buns - Chinese Steamed Buns
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: makes 12 buns||Total:|
These are sticky sweet steamed buns that you can stuff with whatever you want!
- 500 g AP Flour
- 50 g Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Active Dried Yeast
- 150 ml Water
- 100 ml Milk
- 50 ml Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbl Vegetable Oil for oiling raised buns
- Add all Dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix together
- Make well and add all wet ingredients
- Knead dough for around 15 minutes (Knead until smooth ball)
- Let dough rest oiled and covered for 1 hour
- Lightly flour work surface and roll dough thin to around 1/3"
- Using a 3 1/2" ring cut out 12 circles
- Oil the top of each circle and using a chopstick or parchment paper fold the circles in half to form bun
- Let rest for an additional 20 minutes until doubled in size
- Using your preferred steamer steam the buns for 20 minutes
Enjoy the best bun ever